Monday, September 11, 2017

Thank You to Howard Barsky
& my first students who helped to create 
Kline Academy of Fine Art
By Cheryl Kline

Saturday I attended the service for Howard Barsky. He passed away last month (July) the night after his 87th birthday. When his wife Nina called me to give me the news, I could not believe it. Howard was more than a student, he was a dear friend. Over 20 years ago Howard walked into my studio, he liked my work and asked me if I gave lessons. I happened to be tutoring a group of women at a community clubhouse in Pacific Palisades, so Howard ended up joining Phyllis, Margie and Barbara in painting class for a number of years. He had been painting around town at some local art classes in both West Los Angeles and Beverly Hills and knew quite a few of the artists. When they began to notice his improved painting skills, he told them he had been studying with me. Pretty soon I started to get calls. Collette and Renee both called and asked me if I would create a class for them and I said no, I was too busy and I was teaching a Woodbury University on the day they requested. They kept calling, “Okay what would it take for you to put a class together for us on Thursday mornings, Howard said you were great and we want to study with you?…” I said “well, you would need at least 8 people, you’d all have to commit for at least 5 months in order for me to quit my job at Woodbury.” “Oh, okay,” she hung up. I just assumed that it was over and they would stop calling. 2 weeks later I received a phone call and Renee said “okay we are all set, we have 8 people and we will commit for 5 months, when do we start?” I was shocked, I was sure they would never call back. 

I started Kline Academy with 10 students and after 10 years, hundreds of people have come to study at my academy with me and our instructors who are some of the best artists in Los Angeles. Howard Barsky planted the seeds which grew into a forest and I am not sure I ever formally thanked him or the others who help make this dream come true. 

So, on the eve of Kline Academy’s 10th anniversary, I want to thank all my students who have stuck by me for so many years, passed the word that what we do here is really great and helped us to grow and continue to grow into an important Art community in Los Angeles welcoming Adults and teens of all levels. You all know who you are and I appreciate each and every one of you. Thank You!

Join us at our Open House this weekend:
Saturday, Sept. 16th 5pm to 9pm and Sunday, Sept. 17th noon to 5pm.
3264 Motor Ave. L.A. 90034


Top row: The original group Phyllis Tebbe, Margery Card, Barbara Clune-Forrester
Second Row: Renee Hertzberg, Howard Barsky, Collette Udal
Third Row: Lily Wiengarten, Aleen Ramrus, Carol Parvitziar

No comments: